Monday, July 13, 2009

2 Top Ten Lists

I think that a good way to introduce myself as a reader is to list my top 10 favorite books of all time. When thinking about this list I realized that I had really 2 categories that would apply--books for adults and books for children/young adults. I think that loving all these books, all but 3 read before I was out of high school, and most read multiple times, is a standard to which I judge most other books I read in some fashion or another. I know that no fluff mystery will hold up to the Baskervilles or the Orient Express and no Western tale is as profoundly beautiful as Lonesome Dove, but there are sparks and elements in each of these favorites that can be found in a lot of what I read day to day.



So, without further ado....



Kid/YA books: (in no particular order)



A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Anne's House of Dreams by LM Montgomery

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson

Autumn Street by Lois Lowry

Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume

Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg

The Trumpet of the Swan by EB White

Little Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder



Adult books (again in no order):



The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk

At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

The Last Convertible by Anton Myrer

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

Advise and Consent by Allen Drury

No comments:

Post a Comment