Monday, October 19, 2009

Prairie Tale by Melissa Gilbert



I am a junkie for a tell all book about a child star/former celeb. So I was jazzed when I saw that Half-Pint from Little House on the Prairie wrote a book.


LHOTP may have been a wholesome show, but Ms. Gilbert's life was nothing but. She was on drugs, slept around, went through divorce, tumultuous relationships, etc.


I am a huge fan of the LHOTP books, but I think the show is garbage in terms of faithfulness to the Ingalls novels. So I've never really liked the show as anything but mindless cheese. I think it is very interesting to read about the making of the show and how Michael Landon had a vicious temper and in spite of being famous for family TV shows and playing saintly characters on them, he was quick to scream at employees on set and left his wife and several children to be with his on -the-side girlfriend.


I thought the book was interesting as a life story goes. I wasn't a huge fan of Gilbert and her show to start with, so I wasn't let down by her tell-all book. What I mean is, I didn't have dislike for her before or after, but I didn't think she or the series or Landon were awesome, so hearing their flaws didn't bug me too much.


I think the biggest lesson from reading yet another child star Hollywood book is that they all have the same journey in a lot of ways--stage parents, drugs, too many lovers, and then they usually grow up, go to rehab, and find a good spouse. (Those of course are the happy endings.) I think sometimes kids in America think being a celebrity or an actor/performer is the be-all end all and something to strive for, but reading these types of autobiographies always makes me so glad I'm obscure.

No comments:

Post a Comment