Friday, August 14, 2009

A Farewell to Yarns by Jill Churchill



This Jane Jeffry series is new to me. A friend recommended this one to me, or it was on one of those "if you like _ you'll like _" lists. Either way, I was pleased to add a new author to my rotation. Jill Churchill has two series, and this is my first Jill C. book to read.


A Farewell to Yarns is the second in the Jane Jeffry series, our library didn't have the first one. Jane is a widowed single mother of 3. In this book, she is working on a church bazaar Christmas sale with her friend and carpooling and other domestic things.


Her friend Phyllis who Jane hasn't seen in almost 20 years appears in town for a visit, her long-lost son Bobby in tow. Phyllis is found murdered shortly after, and Jane helps her cop friend Mel solve the murder.


The book was super short and cute. I liked it. I loved the realistic nature--Jane's a normal woman. She loves her kids, hates to do housework, is active in her church, but also lets the occasional cuss word fly. Totally like able, not a "Mary Sue" who is perfect and therefore pretty annoying.


I am very much a new Jane Jeffry fan and am looking forward to reading more books about her. She's got a crush on Mel, and I think Mel returns the favor. That did remind me a bit of Goldy Bear and her cop husband Tom, but that's OK, it's a natural segue way for an amateur sleuth character to have contact with mysteries if they're not with a cop or lawyer or something.


Next on deck, another episode in the Chocoholic series by Joanna Carl!

No comments:

Post a Comment